The other night, as I was falling asleep, I asked God to tell me a bedtime story. I fell asleep before the end of it, so here's how far we got!
Once upon a time, a man was walking along a path. (Me: "What's his name?" Papa: "How about Topher?" Me: "Topher? That's an odd name. I recognize it. What's it from?" Papa: "I'll let you figure that out later." Me: "Okay.") This man's name was Topher. (Me: "I'm sure I recognize it from somewhere!" Papa: "Do you want the story?" Me: "Yes!") Anyway, Topher was walking along this path when he came to a large stone. It wasn't taller than him, but if he stood on it he'd be a lot higher. He didn't, though. He simply took note of it and kept walking.
Then he came to a tree. This tree was very tall, taller than all the others. He didn't climb it, though. Like with the stone, he simply noted the unusual height of it and walked on.
Eventually he came to a creek. The creek ran straight through the path! It was odd, really. Topher didn't see any way to get to the path on the other side, so all he could do was turn around and go back the way he came.
He soon arrived at the tree he'd passed. He thought, "If I climb this tree, maybe I can see another path that crosses the river." So he started climbing.
It took a long time to climb, as the tree was tall. When he finally reached the top, and was able to turn his attention from survival to looking around him, he was thrust into awe by what he saw.
To the west, he saw the most glorious and fiery sunset he had ever seen. He could even see the ocean glistening over the ridges of the hills! To the south, he saw the clouds in deep purples and magentas. To the east, the sky was already turning a deep blue, and a few stars were starting to peek through the clouds. To the north, the sky was as clear as a summer day, almost green with the sunset.
Topher was so captivated by the beauty around him that he couldn't do anything but sit in it. The gentle breeze turned into a gentle wind that whispered things to his soul that he could never put words to after, no matter how he tried. The foliage below him offered up their aromas as if giving thanks to the sun for another day. He even wondered if he could hear the ocean in the distance, faintly discussing deep wonders that no man would ever see.
The night grew darker and stars started glistening across the sky, piercing through the darkness. The wind had cleared away the clouds and the moon hadn't come out yet, so Topher's view of the sky was clear and untarnished. He almost felt afraid because of the bigness of it all; it reminded him of his small size. But the wind slowed to a gentle breeze again, and soon that was even down to a mere whisper. The tree he clung to promised to be sturdy, so he had peace. And all he could do was sit in the quiet beauty. The tree gently rocked back and forth. The branches cradled him as a mother would a child, and he slept.
("I love you. Now go to sleep, My child. I'll tell you more, tomorrow!")
No comments:
Post a Comment