I thought about it during the drive into town, and this is what I sorted out:
- One of the characteristics of "Home" for me is familiarity
- That familiarity is a comfort
- Another characteristic is belonging
At the house where I grew up, I am becoming less and less familiar. This decreased familiarity also decreases the comfort that goes with it. And I feel less and less of a sense of belonging there. Which hurts. Which decreases even more the desire to be there.
Soo... I'm not saying the feeling of belonging right here is stronger than the feeling at my dad's house has been, but I am saying that right now, the feeling of belonging here is stronger than at my dad's house right now. And this is strange. I guess it's how it's supposed to go, but strange it is, anyway.
That makes so much sense! The idea of home being a feeling, or a person has come to make more sense than home being a place. Especially with having to move so often.
ReplyDelete