I attended a church for the first time this past Sunday. In the sermon, the guest speaker's point was this:
"Why do we sing songs that say, 'Captivate my heart,' 'Sovereign Lord, reign in me,' 'Your kingdom come to earth,' etc. etc. What do these words mean, and why do we sing them? We should be out there, loving people and showing the fruit of the Spirit in our communities."I see his point, and I agree. However, it really rubbed me wrong for some reason.
To put it plainly, I found his presentation fairly rude and abrasive. As one who loves singing worship to Holy Father, I felt insulted with the way he presented the "new Christian music." I thought he presented it as silly and meaningless. On the other hand, if people only read the words and sing them out through their mouths, without letting any soaking or penetration happen, no good comes of it. These words are not to be taken lightly, and that seems to be a rampant plague in some areas. When we only sing the words and don't let them affect us, then yes, they are meaningless. But if we sing the words and we do let them penetrate, let them change us and permeate us, that's the first step.
Worship through music is not all there is to worship. It's only a step--often the first step. When we stop at it and say, "Whew! That was a good time of worship! I really felt like I entered the Presence!" that is not, I repeat, NOT the end of it! Stay in the Presence. Know that as the Living God is within you, so you are in Him. You never leave His Presence! As you drive to work, eat, talk with friends over the phone, go to the shops, shower and take care of other business, you are still in His Presence. These songs with the "highfalutin phrases" are the only words to express the hunger and thirst for righteousness that comes from living in His Presence. To degrade them was offensive, really.
Part of my beef with the man was this, as well: I've moved to New Zealand, because I believe Father has called me to it. I doubt I would have this confidence if I hadn't spent hours upon hours singing and praying these lofty phrases.
When it comes down to it, I realize he probably wasn't putting down the words as much as he was putting down the insincerity and complacency with which many people were singing them. And that, I agree with. Mean the words, people, and expect transformation. Holy Father's Presence is not limited to Sunday morning meetings or Christian music. He is with you, always. It is a blessing when we feel Him, and training when we don't. And when you're transformed, don't be surprised when you start loving and caring for people who are otherwise difficult to love or care for, when you're willing to attack God-sized problems, and when you have passion to do stuff again. Because this is what will happen when you mean the words you sing.
Hm. Second thought: Maybe his sermon rubbed me wrong because it sounded like he wanted to do away with worship songs. While I don't really think that was what he meant, it's what I received and I'd like to reckon with it.
Angels worship through music. David and the sons of Asaph worshiped through music and deep words. So I will, too. And I'll mean them. See if I don't.
Worship through music and song is so important. Because it welcomes intimacy with Holy Father--something He desperately wants for us. The greatest commandment isn't "Work for the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your soul, and all your strength; and work for your neighbor as yourself." NO. It's "Love the Lord your God... and love your neighbor as yourself." Love is not just an action, as many would be most comfortable with. Nor is it just a feeling, as others would be most comfortable with. It's both. It's necessarily both. How do in-love musicians express their love to each other? They sing songs of love. What's another way to express love? Being with each other, exclusively. And another? Doing things for the other. Love is such a huge deal, and there is danger of it being dropped out. But if God wanted slaves, He would have created slaves--robots--things to do exactly what He said, when He said it. But He didn't. He wanted humans--beings able to receive His love and love Him back. LOVE. Please, please, please don't forget about love. It's essential. Meaningless words are less than nothing. Powerful words? Those are the ones I want to sing and live out.
No death. No death. No death. Because of what Jesus Christ did, we have life. So be alive for goodness sake.
.......................................
I'm starting to think this wasn't created in me by the sermon on Sunday. I think it may have brought it out something that's been fermenting and growing inside of me for a long time. How funny is it that the first sermon in New Zealand is about something that I'm already sensitive to? Ha. Quite funny.
No comments:
Post a Comment